Bats and other animals threw the Silverwing series of books appear to speak English. However they use terms that are not common in every other English dictionary. This is a short dictionary of 'official' terms used in the canonical Silverwing books and 'fandom' terms used in fan fiction and other fan created things.
- Silverwing = Silver haired bat
- Brightwing = Eastern red bat
- Vampyrum Spectrum = Spectral bats or False vampire bats, Vampyrum spectrum is Latin name for these bats.
- Cama Zotz = Deity and the ruler of the underworld from bat mythology. Worshiped by Vampyrum Spectrum members. It is based on Mayan god of bats worshiped around 16 000 BC.
- Nocturna = Bat god of night.
- Chiropter = Early try climbing (rodent?) animal and ancestors of bats.
- Quetzals = Quetzalcoatlus, a giant pterosaur from late Cretaceous.
- Felids = Miacis, small feline like, tree climbing creature, ancestors of felines, dogs and bears.
- Tree-runners = Early primates, possibly Godnia.
- Saurian = Reptiles, but the term is used to describe dinosaurs.
- Swamp Saurians = Crocodiles, Aligators and other crocodilians.
- Equids = Phenacodus, the earliest of the hoofed animals.
- Soricid = Bisanalveus, small and poisonous shrew-like animal.
- Lesser Tyrant Saurian = Nanotyrannus, small therapod related to Tyrannosaurus.
- Greater Tyrant Saurian = Tyrannosaurus
- Ceratin = Ceratopsian, Triceratops or a Torosaurus
- Hadron = Hadrosaurus
- New Times = Age of mammals, started in Eocene some 65 million years ago.
- Old times = Mesozoic period, started in Triassic and ended in Cretaceous some 65 million years ago
- Times before Time = Every period before Mesozoic.